Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The laptop issues and the lessons and tails behind it.

In the middle of the month September I had a sudden issue with my laptop computer which in my part is a tragic moment since I use it as my main source but instead of me moaning about it I choose to go further of doing what needs to be done, which means prop shopping and more tail making. Halloween is coming up which means costumed theme events and most of the ones I'm attending requires me to appear as my merman counterpart Angel, so durning the never ending journey of putting the laptop issue together I was working on two fabric tails one for swimming and one for walking (harness accepted) and while I was working on my tails I exploring another a somewhat related artform, the world of sideshow. Freaks, human oddities, taboo performers, and it got interested of exploring the art form more so I decided for every Halloween I will set a mock up sideshow display as a living Fiji Mermaid! For those who don't know what a Fiji Mermaid is, they're what we would call a Gaff freak which means a fraud and they would take the skeleton of a fish and a monkey and form them together and present them as a proof of a lost mermaid, it's always something that amuse since I was a child but I use these past weeks to explore the art form. The laptop issue is that it's old, it's five years old and when I call the company they just flat out told me to buy a new one and you know what they are right so everyday I always think of it as a new beginning and that's how it should always be. The tails that I'm making are works of pure theatrical art, the fabric water tail explores the art form of mermaiding of the early years of the 50's and it does still being use but seen very rare now due to popularity of silicone and latex tails so I chose to explore this art form and let me tell you it's a test alright when I think I'm finish it turns out I'm not and the walking tail is in fact inspiried by the costumes of Bob Crowley for the new revamp production of Disney's The Little Mermaid which I fallen in love with equal. Just to put this short durning these past weeks I did felt I've been learning more about this art form and it's alright to get out of the Cyberworld every now and then, and that's how I feel about it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment